This is an active, hands-on workshop designed especially for middle school science teachers who want to experience what NGSS instruction and assessment looks like in the classroom. During the workshop we will
explore how lessons and units can be three-dimensional -including the three components of NGSS: Disciplinary Core Ideas, Scientific and Engineering
Practices, and Cross-Cutting Concepts. Teachers will conduct investigations and design solutions to problems that can be used in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade. The practices of explaining phenomenon, modeling, supporting claims with evidence, and computational thinking will be emphasized. We will share strategies for:
• making student thinking visible,
• engaging students in science discourse,
• supporting English Language Learners, and
• using questioning as a tool for getting at cross-cutting concepts.You will walk away with lessons and resources that can be used right away and will learn strategies and resources that will help you “Next-Genify” lessons that you currently teach.
Presenters: Susan Holveck, Beaverton School District, and Berkeley Gadbaw, Raliegh Hills Middle School
Four (4) PDU's will be provided to attendees.
This event is open to everyone, OSTA Member or not.
However, we respectfully request that if you are, or have been, an OSTA member, that you log in to the website before registering for this event.
If you have forgotten your password, just select "forgot password" after entering your e-mail address* and a temporary one will be provided.
*You will need to use the e-mail address that is associated with your membership if you use more than one e-mail address.
To pay using a credit or debit card:
Complete the online registration. Click the "Pay online" button. This will take you to PayPal. If you do not have a PayPal account, just check out as a guest.
Paying by check?
Complete the online registration without paying online. Print the invoice that will be e-mailed to you. Make your check payable to OSTA. Mail the printed invoice with your check to the Conference Registrar at the address below.
Paying by purchase order?
- Complete the online registration without paying and print the invoice that will be e-mailed to you.
- Submit the invoice(s) to your district for payment.
- Please instruct your district to submit payment with copies of the invoices to the Conference Registrar at the address below.
Carolyn Clontz, OSTA Registrar
2324 NE Shadow Brook Place
Bend, OR 97701
Refund/Cancellation Policy: Refund requests must be in writing and must be postmarked/timestamped 10 days before the event. Registration cancellations are subject to a $20 processing fee. Send any requests to the registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org, or to the address above.